Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The other side

The other side of the Florence trip was somewhat less amazing, as Ashley and I got lost pretty badly after walking down some more lovely little streets. If we hadn't been offered help by a friendly passer-by (a lady whose husband was pushing a stroller.. aww) we never would have found ourselves again because we were already off the map and headed in the absolute wrong direction, with no bus stops in sight.

Since we had done nothing but walk for roughly two straight days, my legs felt something like they were going to fall off of me. We made it back to the hostel and went to the train station. We bought a ticket for a moderately slow train scheduled to leave at 6:04, but there was no listed platform. Eventually I cornered a man in a green jacket who explained to me that the train I wanted did not exist. Sweet. He suggested I either upgrade to a EuroStar ticket or take the slow train leaving at 7:09. I stood in line for a while but when it became clear that the line would not move in time for me to get on the EuroStar impending departure, I elected the slow train.

This was, in retrospect, a possible mistake. But I am the type who works harder, not smarter! So I did what I thought was right instead of trying to get away with pleading ignorance on the EuroStar. The slow train this time was not fun or filled with lovely views, as it was dark by the time we actually got out of the city. It was long, torturous, tired, and Ashley had gotten on a different train because she had wanted to track down food beforehand.

I had wanted to get back and go to bed early to make up for the sleep lost in getting to/being in Florence. The train was scheduled to arrive at Termini at 10:42. So excited was I at 10:45 when the train stopped that I hopped off in line, and only once I had gone down some steps did I realize I was in the Tiburtina train station. I saw a large M outlined in blue and headed straight for the Metro, tired and thoroughly disgusted with myself. I made it to Termini and felt very glad to see familiar sights, and to know exactly where to go to get on the bus I needed to take me home again.

I was the last of the Florence-goers to arrive back at the centro. But, I did make it, and Florence was in fact amazing, so I would say, it's worth it.

No comments: