Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Triumph of Elegance

Today was Centro prom. Arranged by Hanner (my roommate) and Nicholas, this was essentially to be the day we all dressed up fancy to go to the forum for our last forum field trip. So, we did.

It was really a lot of fun. We took tons of pictures (yeah, they will be up on here soon.. I'm still not prepared to dedicate that amount of time yet) and made fun. Photos under the Arch of Septimius Severus. You know. That kind of thing.

In addition to the forum, we went to several churches of the most ancient variety. The one that was first begun by Constantine (Lateran), and Santa Maria Maggiore (I had been to both on an art history trip, but this was cool as well), and San Clemente, and Santa Pudenziana.

We walked to the Laeran from the forum, and had a lunch break there. I was eating lunch on a bench in front of the Lateran lawn for the second time in my life with Captain Cook (my date to Centro prom; we have an overabundance of females). There were a lot of people in uniform outside when we arrived, but they were getting onto buses and leaving. We figured some kind of parade had ended. There were some guys in uniform hanging around in front of the church, but whatever.

Then, a fire truck came wailing down the road and pulled into the piazza area between the lawn and the church. We were perplexed, thinking they were just turning around, but then they parked just next to us and started getting out. We thought maybe something was wrong. A fire in the church? Was someone hurt? What was up with the guys in big headphones and orange suits?

They made us move off the bench by the lawn. We went a bit back, to the steps of the church, and then the helicopter appeared. "Yeeaaah." It circled twice and then landed. I took video with my camera. There's an interesting moment when the blast of wind hit me and I was unable to control the camera, too worried simultaneously about my skirt flying up, and the unexpected amount of dust just then hitting the back of my throat through my agape mouth. I screamed, which of course helped (hah). I managed to regain composure and get the rest of the video.

We took pictures of (and then, with) the helicopter. Later, we found out that it was St. Barbara's day today, and she's the patron of the firemen. So they brought her all their transportation means to show.

Extraordinary. It made the day for most of us.

As an added bonus, after a tiring day walking around in "unsafe shoes" (we are always warned to wear safe shoes on field trips by our weekly schedule) I went to "Fitbox" with Biz, Jackie, Meggers, and Carla. It was exhilarating. The instructor doesn't speak English, but she is able to lead us anyway (along with her normal Italian students). It was hardcore, too. I was so beat, but really thrilled at the end. It reminded me a bit of a lady in a yellow leotard, and working out with Katelyn. I'll be sore tomorrow. But hell, hooray for endorphins. We had a fabulous dinner of burgers and fries (after the first course of spaghetti of course) and chocolate mousse panna cotta whatever it was amazingness for dessert for Carla's birthday. I ate so much I felt a little sick. But, in a good way I guess.

Today was a triumph of elegance, just as my prom invitation said.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog. It's part of my routine now to check to see if there is anything new, or to just reread the last entry.
I can't wait to have you home!